Monday, December 29, 2008

Top 9 EPs of 2008

Bands who were too lazy to put out a full length or just wrote too many songs:

9. Conor Oberst - Gentleman's Pact
Definitely better than the full length, this four song EP reminds me a little of "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" era Bright Eyes. No eagles, no poles.






8. You, Me, and Everyone We Know - So Young, So Insane
Although this one isn't quite as good as their previous EP, it's still really good. They're one of the only good pop punk bands left. A full length from them is going to be very interesting.






7. Straylight Run - Un Mas Dos
These songs are definitely different from old Straylight Run stuff aside from the fact Michelle is gone. I like the new direction; I don't like the fact that they said they're only going to be doing EPs from now on.






6. Mountain Goats - Black Pear Tree/Satanic Messiah


John Darnielle has dominated the last few months of my life and these EPs certainly helped. Neither has songs of the caliber found on Heretic Pride, but each is an enjoyable listen. Kaki King is always a plus as well.













5. Manchester Orchestra - Let My Pride Be What's Left Behind
"I Can Feel a Hot One" and "I Was a Lid" are both fantastic songs. If there was more new content, this would be higher up. Since there isn't, it just gets me very excited for their upcoming full length





4. Kevin Devine - I Could Be With Anyone
Four new songs off of his album out next year. All four are great. He could be with anyone.








3. All Get Out - All Get Out
Rounding out the Favorite Gentlemen releases is All Get Out's new EP. They were really good live and this EP captures it well. I've been listening to it a lot in the last few weeks. They're in the genre of bands that sound like Manchester Orchestra; I pretty much love all of them.



2. The Gaslight Anthem - Senor and the Queen
The Gaslight Anthem come in at number two here also. "Say I Won't (Recognize)" just isn't a strong enough song to make this EP number one. That doesn't mean I don't listen to it all the time, though.





1. Shining Through - Man Vs. Wild
This EP is really good. Equal parts Weatherbox and Bright Eyes, Shining Through makes up for a lack of output by either band this year. I hope they get big and successful or at least record a full length.

No comments:

Post a Comment